Thursday, December 3, 2015

December Paper Doll -- Mrs Claus, Outfit 1

Did you love Santa's workshop outfit?  Me too!  It's no secret that I find drawing clothing for boys & men a bit challenging.

Today, Mrs Claus has her workshop outfit.  Do you know any tough ladies? I do!  This outfit reminds me of my grandmother.  She's 85 and single-handedly cares for my disabled grandfather.  She grew up during the Depression, wandered around the East Coast with my grandfather during his short career as a Marine, gave birth to her oldest son at home because the hospital was too far away, and generally did whatever it took to manage life in rural Vermont.  She's still there, just chugging away.  Gram has got spunk to spare, and that's how I feel about Mrs Claus's outfit today.


This reminds me a bit of World War II, with women working in the factories.  A bit of a Christmas Rosie the Riveter I guess! 

A note about these dolls:  I find it easiest to right-click, select View Image, and then save it from there.  There will be a pdf at the end, too.

If you're looking for the dolls, you can grab them here.

3 comments:

  1. definitely love the Rosie Riveter look for Mrs. Claus! : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you gave Mrs. Claus pants! Poor woman always seems to be shown in dresses. The grease splotches are a such a nice touch too. Great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grease splotches really pulled it together for me, too. I completed the outfit and something was just missing. Once I added those, it was perfect.

      I like to think of Mrs Claus as an equal partner in this endeavor. This set is pretty heavily influenced by the relationship between Santa and his wife from Santa Claus: The Movie from 1985. I saw it in the theater with my family & it's the holiday movie I most associate with my childhood.

      Delete